HeidelbergCement is one of the world’s largest building materials companies. With the takeover of the Italian cement producer Italcementi, HeidelbergCement became the number 1 in aggregates production, number 2 in cement, and number 3 in ready-mixed concrete. Both companies complement each other perfectly: on the one hand due to major similarities in product areas and organisation structures, and on the other hand due to their different geographical footprints without major overlaps. In the significantly expanded HeidelbergCement Group, around 60,000 employees work at more than 3,000 production sites in around 60 countries on five continents.
The core activities of HeidelbergCement include the production and distribution of cement and aggregates, the two essential raw materials for concrete. Our downstream activities include mainly the production of ready-mixed concrete, but also of asphalt and other building products in some countries. With the acquisition of Italcementi, we have significantly expanded our maritime trading activities.
Cement production is by its very nature raw-material- and energy-intensive. That’s why we build our long-term success on sustainable business practices. This includes securing access to raw materials reserves, efficient and innovative production processes, the development of new products and the use of alternative raw materials and fuels. HeidelbergCement is also active in the promotion of biodiversity at its extraction sites.
HeidelbergCement is divided into five geographical Group areas. Within the Group areas, we have divided our activities into four business lines. Our global trading activities are pooled together in the sixth Group area Group Services.
Financial Highlights HeidelbergCement
Figures in €m
Number of employees as at 31 December
Cement and clinker (million tonnes)
Aggregates (million tonnes)
Ready-mixed concrete (million cubic metres)
Asphalt (million tonnes)
Total Group revenue
Result from current operations before depreciation and amortisation (RCOBD1))
Result from current operations (RCO2))
Profit for the financial year
Group share of profit
Dividend per share in €
Earnings per share in €
1) RCOBD = Result from current operations before depreciation and amortisation
2) RCO = Result from current operations
3) The Managing Board and Supervisory Board will propose to the Annual General Meeting on 10 May 2017 the distribution of a cash dividend of €1.60.
Please check our Annual Report 2016 for detailed information on HeidelbergCement’s financial key figures 2016.
140 Years HeidelbergCement
- Growth in sales volumes of cement, aggregates, and RMC expected
- Moderate increase in revenue and mid-single to double digit percentage increase in result from current operations on a comparable pro forma basis; significant rise in profit for the financial year before non-recurring effects
- Integration of Italcementi ahead of plan: synergies increased to €m 470
- HeidelbergCement well positioned to benefit from good and stable development in industrial countries